Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Enough of this bullshit

I'm back. And I'm fucking pissed.

Look, I'm sorry. I've spent 14 years blaming my problems on myself. What am I doing wrong? Why isn't it working? How is it that all my friends have had serious relationships/have gotten married/have had ridiculous amounts of sex, when I - poor little old me - appear to be the unpopular kid that all the other unpopular kids avoid in embarrassment.

At this point, that is just bullshit. You know what's wrong with me? Me fucking neither. I am a great guy. I've spent year and years and years being a great guy. I'm thoughtful, funny, contemplative, interesting, broad, and broadminded. I speak two language, have been to half a dozen countries, care about politics, and meet people easily. I can swim a mile easily. I have good genes. I'm gifted. I've written a book. I'm fluent in the language of technology and enjoy every brand of humor from low brow to high culture.

I have no trouble operating at a level that is skin deep, but am equally at home delving deeply into the issues. People trust me enough to tell me their hopes and fears, and I never break the sacred bond by blabbing those hopes and dreams to others.

I graduated college in four years. I have a masters degree in applied psychology. I'm one year away from being a lawyer. Fuck, I've even won the John fucking Philips Sousa award. I know how to play chords on a piano and am at least decent in the karaoke scene. I can match a shoe with a belt. People have conversations about what a great guy I am behind my back.

When I have money I am generous with it. If I don't have money, I'm willing to donate time.

I write enjoyable and interesting prose. If I author a mailing list, people who are no longer members of the list sometimes choose not to unsubscribe, simply because they enjoy reading what I've written.

I am, not to put to fine a line on the concept, fucking awesome.

You want to know why I don't get dates? You know why I've spent my entire life (save a very limited number of days) alone? It's because women are idiots.

That's it. Idiots. Dummschwaetzerin. Vollidioten. The freaking bane of my existence.

Someone out there might try to rationalize the idiot gene going on in the so-called fairer sex, but I assure you, anyone who would pick the skinny guy who looks serious and works in a bar/coffee shop over me needs to have her head examined. It's crap. It's a joke.

So what the fuck do I do about it? Fucking nothing. There's nothing to do. Give up. Given in. Accept the fact that, no matter how hard you try, you are doomed to walk the world, unknown and unloved until the seas boil and the four horsemen charge forth from the rumbling sky.

Of course, if I did that, there would be no satisfaction. Why should I spend my life being all depressed? Sure, for whatever inexplicable reason I will never have the ability to seduce women and then leave them heartbroken and alone. But that doesn't mean I have to be polite about it. I think it's time to start being the world's biggest prick.

Fuck yes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before the 20th century courtship had strict and nearly universal rules throughout the western world. In most of the rest of the world it still does. As cultural norms unraveled people began pairing up in a mate market where overwhelmingly women choose men. Certainly many women have trouble finding men that they want but they are usually the ones being courted and have the power to decide who they will be with. Women are primarily interested in what a guy looks like. If you pay close attention to the couples you see on the street you'll notice that not only are attractive men paired with attractive women but that they look remarkably similar. Height, weight, skin tone, facial symmetry, attire - all are remarkably similar. If personality was a strong factor you would expect to see pair bonding of people who do not look alike - chosen at random. The degree of consistency is extremely high, suggesting that the combined weight of all factors other than aesthetics is extremely weak. This does not necessarily mean that personality is not important but that looking similar & having a similar degree of attractiveness is nearly a prerequisite for a relationship. Within the pool of similar looking men or women the other factors play out.

Its also interesting to hear people think in terms of education, status or success as being a mating factor. I think there is very little evidence for this.

Keep in mind that there are far greater IQ normal curve tails among men than among women. So there are many more brilliant men than women. The only way, if any, that exceptional intelligence attracts women is through its effects and social outcomes. Women cannot identify brilliant men by talking to them. They impute brilliance to wealth, popularity, success and how funny you are. The only people who can even recognize a certain level of intelligence are people who possess it. If women wanted brilliant men and could identify them than the stereotype of the nerd or geek would not be possible.